Different styling for 1 specific category

Phoca Gallery - image gallery extension
joskevermeulen
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Different styling for 1 specific category

Post by joskevermeulen »

Hi,

I couldn't find an answer on the forum so I'll start my own thread.

On my site, I have a photo gallery menu item which contains a categories view of about 21 categories. With the first 20 categories, I don't want to show image title and description in category view. However I have 1 category in which I need to show a title or description (I'd prefer a title, but a description could work too) in the category view. It is absolutely necessary here to show some text explaining which team is on the image.

How can I do this? Because I've only found the option to hide/show title/description in the global parameters, but this influences the entire site (all 21 categories). The only way I could think of was to show ALL titles from all categories, and then leaving the titles of the 20 categories blank. But this results in a big empty space in the 20 categories, I'd rather just hide it instead of filling in a blank value.

thanks

PS: I'm using Phoca gallery component v3.2.3 for Joomla 2.5
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Different styling for 1 specific category

Post by Jan »

Hi, you can set options for whole component but for menu link (with easy customizing) too, try to see:
https://www.phoca.cz/documents/16-joomla ... a-25-17-16

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
joskevermeulen
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by joskevermeulen »

Hi Jan, thanks a lot for that! I got it working now.

I made a separate menu-item for that 1 category but made this menu invisible. Then I made custom menu-item parameters (based on your link) for this menu item and configured it as I wanted. These settings also automatically got applied to that same category in the other/original menu-item...
So in the end, with a little detour, I got my custom settings for 1 category in the global categories view.

Thanks again for a really helpful post!
joskevermeulen
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by joskevermeulen »

After experimenting a bit, it turns out it's still not completely how it should be.
Following the link from post 2. I made a new menu with 1 item (category view of the 1 category I want the title to show on) and didn't assign this menu to any pages (so it never shows). The result is that my custom settings work, but the breadcrumbs are no good. The parent category (Gallery) doesn't show in the breadcrumbs because in my new menu the 1 category is the only category and thereby in the root.

So I tried putting the new menu-item in the already existing menu with 'Gallery' as it's parent category. I gave this menu-item an access level (in Joomla) which no groups have access to, so it doesn't show. This way my breadcrumbs are ok (the parent category 'Gallery' shows first). But my custom settings don't seem to have any effect...

Am I missing the correct way here? Could it be that in my second attempt, I had to hide this menu-item in another way instead of with viewing access levels?
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, try to disable SEF and try to follow the Itemid (ID of menu) so you can then discover in which part the menu is switching.

The SEF (menu link, etc. in Joomla! is of course limited because not all parts can get information about into which menu item id they should be assign as the script does not know which menu items user will create - https://www.phoca.cz/documents/16-joomla ... -in-joomla - there are 4 articles about this issue, but not sure if they can end with solving this issue :-( :idea: )

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project