Thumbnail creation performance is slow

Phoca Gallery - image gallery extension
rixterizer
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Thumbnail creation performance is slow

Post by rixterizer »

Greetings, I have a question regarding thumbnail creation performance tweaks.

Currently it's taking approximately 8 seconds to process each file I am adding using "multiple add" which is extremely slow.

Are there any tweaks that can be applied to speed up the process?
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Thumbnail creation performance is slow

Post by Jan »

Hi, see the Info page in your Phoca Gallery administration and check the recommeded values for parameters.
https://www.phoca.cz/documents/2-phoca-g ... -menu-item
Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
rixterizer
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by rixterizer »

Jan wrote:Hi, see the Info page in your Phoca Gallery administration and check the recommeded values for parameters.
https://www.phoca.cz/documents/2-phoca-g ... -menu-item
Jan
The two settings that were not set to their recommended settings are these:

Pagination Thumbnail Generation: If you enable this function, thumbnails will be created only from images which will be listed in Image list. Pagination will be used. It means, you need to go to every page because of creating thumbnails. Enabling this function can speed up your thumbnail creation. ((I would have to browse each page of the gallery to have the thumbnails created?))

Enable Thumbnail Generation: If this function is enabled, thumbnails from all newly added images will be automatically created. If you know, you will not add any new images into your gallery, then disable this function because Phoca Gallery will work faster then. You can enable this function every time in Options. ((I'm constantly adding new images to the gallery))

If I understand the documentation correctly it seems like in order to speed up the thumbnail creating process I need to stop creating thumbnails for all the images? Why wouldn't I want to create thumbnails for them?

Perhaps it's the terminology that is throwing me off, but I'm constantly adding pictures to the gallery.
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi,

a) stop creating thumbnails should be set in case, you did made all the thumbnails (so then Phoca Gallery will not check all the images for thumbnails - this makes the working in administration faster

b) in case you still need to do thumbnails, just enable pagination thumbnail creation. The goal of this is, only images per page will be checked. There is difference between if you check e.g. 1000 images for thumbnails against 50 thumbnails per page ... Of course you need to go manually to every page but you will do it faster then wating for all the checking.

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project