Delete existing files

Phoca Download - download manager
erndl
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Delete existing files

Post by erndl »

I am running Joomla version 3.6.2 and Phoca Download version 3.0.5. When updating files for a downloadable title I cannot use the same name (e.g. "example.pdf"), I have to name it "example1.pdf", since I can't upload two files with the same name. Now my problem is that it won't let me delete outdated and replaced files like "example.pdf". I have quite a number of downloadable titles and I update their files on a regular basis, so it figures that I'm losing track of which are current and which are outdated files, because there are just too many of them. I have already activated the option of deleting existing files (from server), but I don't know where that delete button might have appeared.
Thank you in advance for your help

Sophie
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Delete existing files

Post by Jan »

Hi, there are two parameters which can help you:

- overwrite existing files - so if you upload some file, the old will be overwritten ( no other name is needed)
- deleting existing files - it means, when you delete file in backend, the original file stored on your server will be deleted too. As default it is not automatically deleted as Phoca Download has independent database and filesystem layer. E.g. two filenames in administration can link to only one file on the server (deleting one filename in administration can then delete the file from second filename). This is why as default, original files on server are not deleted when deleting filename in administration (and of course the file can be used by another extension, etc.).

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
erndl
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by erndl »

Hi Jan

The thing as I already told is, that it won't let me choose a name, that a previous file already has. And for the second chouce I have no (at least no obvious) option to delete files. Where and how can I do so?
Thank you
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, I don't understand, if you have some file "abc.zip" there and you overwrite it with file "abc.zip" then it will be overwritten. Where you want to choose a name?

- Files (on server) can be deleted when you delete the file item (needs to be set in options) or you can delete them per file manager like Phoca Commander is - if you only want to delete files on server located - https://www.phoca.cz/phocacommander

Jan
erndl
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by erndl »

Jan wrote:Hi, I don't understand, if you have some file "abc.zip" there and you overwrite it with file "abc.zip" then it will be overwritten. Where you want to choose a name?

- Files (on server) can be deleted when you delete the file item (needs to be set in options) or you can delete them per file manager like Phoca Commander is - if you only want to delete files on server located - https://www.phoca.cz/phocacommander

Jan
Hi Jan

I choose the name when creating a file, but it doesn't let me upload them to Phoca Download when there's already a file with that very name.
Anyways, the Phoca Commander method has worked! Thank you very much

Sophie
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

I choose the name when creating a file, but it doesn't let me upload them to Phoca Download when there's already a file with that very name.
in case, the parameters are set as default, you get message, that such file exits
in case, you set the parameters (options) to overwrite files, there should be no problem to upload the same file - testing now - on different servers, without any problem :idea:

Jan