Anyway to set "ignore" errors when creating thumbnails?

Phoca Gallery - image gallery extension
WinterRG
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Anyway to set "ignore" errors when creating thumbnails?

Post by WinterRG »

Hey folks, am I missing something ? Is there anyway to configure thumbnail creation to ignore or skip error'd files, so the process isn't interrupted all the time.

I really don't need or want to be told about every image failure at the time of failure. Maybe in a list afterwards, or a filter in the backend that lets me view only images without thumbnails. So I can fix them afterwards. I am in the process of setting up a site for a photographer, who wants to upload 2K-5K of images in a single batch. We have automated the image for web exports, automated the FTP uploading, but now the thumbnail creation is taking for ever and a day with all the interruptions.

From an Administration expediency point of view, it would seem far more efficient to be able have the thumbnail creation process continuously and fix the problems after.

cheers
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Re: Anyway to set "ignore" errors when creating thumbnails?

Post by Jan »

Hi, no :-(

The process is not stopped by Phoca Gallery, but by your server and Phoca Gallery only gives more information to the site (what happened, what to do, etc.)
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project
webrod
Phoca Newbie
Phoca Newbie

Post by webrod »

Hi,

i'm not sure I understand the answer.
The server does not block anything, the library processing the picture returns an error that can be handled by the application (phoca) by different means.

Phoca is converting the pictures, one by one right?
when it detects an error, it stops generating thumbnails and display an error message, this is a blocking process from Phoca.

the request is: would it be possible to enhance phoca to NOT block the process, eg by just ignoring the error and by processing the next picture?
This is extremely useful in case you want to import hundreds of pictures and don't want to be front of your screen to wait for this message.

there are other smarter ways to do that, like flagging the picture as 'error' instead of just ignoring, so at the end of the process we can retreive those pictures with errors and try to fix, then restart the generation.

thanks,
Rod
Jan
Phoca Hero
Phoca Hero

Post by Jan »

Hi, which error you exactly get, some errors like Fatal errors caused by memory or limits on the server cannot be managed by the script (e.g. if there is not enough memory on the server, there is no memory to return some error which can be managed - the script is just interrupted by server without option to manage it)
Phoca is converting the pictures, one by one right?
Not for 100%, Phoca does not convert images - this is done by your server - your GD library on your server, Phoca only gives instructions which size, format, etc. should be created - then it gets the information from server if it was successfully or not, but as written about - if the server stops with fatal memory error, there is no memory to somehow handle it.

In case, your server stops the script because of some fatal error, Phoca just cannot ignore it - it is just disabled in this time. When server stops working, Phoca is not running and cannot ignore something when it is not running.

First of all, you need to find out, which error this is: see your errorLog. Second script (Phoca, Joomla!, another PHP script) can run only in case, the server allows it, when the server stops the script, it just cannot continue, it just cannot ignore the server because it is not running.

When your car stops because it does not have fuel, you can not ignore it and get home and at home fill up the fuel you missed in the middle of the road. :-(

Jan
If you find Phoca extensions useful, please support the project